Procrastination is one of the biggest “wasters of time” which is basically putting off till tommorrow which can be done today –
NEVER HEARD THE SAYING TOMORROW NEVER COMES
Remember time is a fixed commodity and it is your habits that have to change to make more effective use of the available time. Procrastination is a bad trait which can take hold of your life and have a negative effect on your career, business opportunities and relationships..
There are many reasons for Procrastinating :-
- Lack of clearly defined goals which can result in you putting off the more important tasks till later and completing the easier or the tasks you like doing first – some people like writing articles, others doing research
- Inability to make a decision even after weighing up the pros and cons – would Microsoft be so successful if they procrastinated. This is just as valid in a personal situation
- Fear of failure or success are psychological reasons for procrastinating
- Waiting for the right time or till you are in the right mood
- Lack of organization
- Underestimating the time and difficulty to complete tasks
- Lack of clearly defined goals which you feel you have not had a say in formulating
- Strategic goal not broken down into bite-sized tasks
I am sure to have you heard the expression – ” I only work well under pressure”
This is usually brought about when a task is delayed until the individual has no option but to complete the task. At that point, the task is in charge of you, instead of you being in charge of the task.
At some time in our lives, we will all procrastinate, that is not too much of a problem it is when it dominates our lives there are problems. However, if you recognize that you have some of the common symptoms of procrastination you can take action to take them under control and take control of effective use of your time.