Improving self confidence is a work in progress. It’s not a task you “do” so much as developing an optimum relationship with yourself as a constant background. Overlaid on this background are the learning and honing of skills and various competencies. Feeling and being skilfully resourced supports improving self confidence through regular positive reinforcement. The better your experience is, the more confident you feel the next time. It drops you into the positive expanding spiral. The more confident you feel in yourself and your skills and abilities, the better are your experience and results and you come to live in this expanding cycle of improving self confidence naturally.
It can go the other way of course! The more uncomfortable or inadequate you feel about your interactions, the less confident you are likely to feel next time. The less confident you are, the less likely you are to perform or interact in optimum ways and that downward contracting cycle can entrap us. As our confidence erodes, anxiety can set in which further compromises optimum interaction and management.
We need positive experiences and a sense of self efficacy in order to build and reinforce self confidence.
Becoming knowledgeable and proficient in the core communication skills is a direct ticket to riding the positive expanding spiral and one of the most powerful ways of improving self confidence immediately.
The process for improving communication skills includes:
- Taking inventory of your current skills and targeting areas for improvement
- Getting a clear idea of what makes someone a great communicator so you know exactly what you are aiming for and have a concrete and specific set of targets
- Learning the skill
- Practicing the skill
- Learning the techniques and understanding the underlying information about the dynamics of communication excellence
- Identifying and resolving your own blocks and barriers to skillful, effective, and confident communication – in all situations!
- Improving self-confidence is as close as making the commitment to doing what it takes!